News

Our Proactive Approach to Partnership Begins with a Focus On Prevention

Our Proactive Approach to Partnership Begins with a Focus On Prevention

This image represents the most common eight categories of the operating costs to owning and / or operating a facility. While the allocations per category may differ from company to company, these “slices” provide us with a clean approach to better understanding how a proven preventative maintenance program can increase the bottom line for our partners while helping them move from a reactive state to a proactive company.

Our Current State

To better understand how a quality preventative maintenance program can increase profitability, we need to start with the contracted services, the green slice of the pie. Most reactive organizations tend to only look at their ongoing operation and maintenance costs they can “see” – otherwise known as Contracted Services.

If there’s anything 2020 has taught us, it’s that we cannot afford to be reactive within an unpredictable and ever-changing landscape.  Our companies must identify and institute processes and procedures that allow us to be proactive; particularly in the areas that will allow us to maintain operations, provide healthy environments for our team members and continue to add to the bottom line.

The Challenge

The problem here is two-fold. First, our industry has done a poor job educating the market on what is the best approach. Traditionally, our messaging has taught the market that you can shrink your contracted services portion by securing a low-cost maintenance program. This is what most owner operators want to hear at the time of purchase.

However, in today’s environment, a low-quality service program that may have been cost effective when the equipment was out-of-the box will likely continue to feed the reactive approach to business continuity and eventually will cost the company more money.

When quality preventative maintenance is sacrificed, other portions of the pie increase. Low-quality programs will lead to more major repairs (red slice), higher energy costs (blue slice) and shorter capital avoidance / equipment life (orange slice).

The Solution – A New Spin on the 80/20 Rule

Most mechanical systems companies use an outdated approach to applying the 80/20 rule to their strategies and partnerships. In short, they 80% of their efforts are focused on repairs and emergency calls, a result of an initial investment in low-quality service programs. The other 20% of their efforts may reside in preventative maintenance but in many ways, this can be seen as a conflict of interest.

At MAZZA, 80% of our labor hours are allocated toward preventative maintenance while the other 20% cover repairs and emergency calls. One may ask how this is so different than our competition, but the answer lies within our approach. We never come to the table with a cookie-cutter approach to enriching our customer’s environments. Our custom-tailored solutions reflect the unique needs of the company’s we serve providing peace of mind, promoting a healthy and predictable operating budget and prolonging the life of the equipment.

To learn more about our investment in our unique approach, how our teams can help you move from a reactive to a proactive organization and increase your bottom, please contact us at 716-372-0091.

 

Share this page